masculinity, hot take after an overdose on math Show more
"Masculinity" is a meta-trait.
* People can have traits that distinguish them from other people.
* Two people with the same trait never express it identically; ergo, a trait is actually set of trait-expressions
* Masculinity describes a subset of such a trait-expression (for some traits), i.e. masculinity is a property that distinguishes trait-expressions from each other.
Okay, I want to try to focus my spare-time-project-energy for the coming months.
I will do my very best to restrain myself to three projects:
1. Getting #GardenGame to a minimal playable state, so y'all can start making small virtual gardens. I'm not good at graphics, so keep expectations low for the first release.
When I think of a future with Open Social Media, I imagine three pillars.
1) Microblogging (ActivityPub), for sharing thoughts with strangers, ephemeral community building, and broad+global reach.
2) Forum / Stable Community (no good solution yet, AFAIK), for discussing, planning, buying/selling locally. All within a distinct group of people, membership of which can be managed.
3) Peer2Peer (Scuttlebutt?), for talking directly to friends, family, nearby people, and easily sharing files.
tech, php programming Show more
I wonder if there's any useful applications of $$$var out there.
I've used $$var for semi-generic metaprogramming, but is there pattern that uses $$$var that couldn't just as well be written as a $$var pattern?
by the way, if you're interested in things like astrophysics, cosmology, quantum mechanics, etc, a really really good youtube channel is PBS Space Time. the host (is? used to be?) a university professor and he's also a professional astrophysicist, breaking down big topics to be understandable but not so simplified to be useless or misleading like a lot of pop science stuff is. it's not dry either, it's got a lot of personality to it.
some of the video titles are a little clickbaity but i promise the content is very good
Revolution and misanthropy Show more
A deep sense of hate for humanity has poisoned the left. I can pinpoint the root: climate activism. An awful lot of climate information you are bombarded with, from exhibits to articles say *humans* are to blame for it all, as if people like you and I are actively part of mass deforestation and ecocide, and not merely accessories in a system designed to exploit and trap us.
It is not humanity killing the planet. It is a very small subset of humanity.
So, coming from a white semi-academic: if you are white and you wanna decolonize:
- Stop trying to get any sort of career advancement out of it. No thesis. No published paper. No grants. You do not get to exploit this.
- Be prepared to give stuff up. Be prepared to dismantle and destroy stuff that you’ve been taught to respect. Be prepared to not be liked.
- Focus on the physical. Stop the process of colonialism and get the colonist out.
- Listen to people of color, for fucks sake.
Contemporary danish has an interesting habit of importing technical or niche words from english and applying a weird mix of danish and english grammar to them.
It's especially horrible when it goes wrong. Such as some danes saying "en tanks" or "en drinks" and referring to a single object ("en" means "a" and "one" at the same time).
Unverified danish slang Show more
I'm not sure if my brain is playing tricks on me, but I just read "when I ghost you" (referring to not answering communication) and parsed it as
"I looked at your screen in a local multiplayer multi-computer context*"
(*commonly LAN parties)
I can't verify this slang, but I'm pretty sure it was common among danish gamers in the early 00's (if not in the 90's too). And yes, it was literally the word "ghost" imported into danish sentences; as in
"Hold op med at ghoste!"
Possibly Shutting Down VidCommons Show more
Oooh, this #GardenGame is almost nearing completion!
Genie: You have ONE WISH.
Me: Alright, I have one, but it's very detailed.
Genie: As long as it is only one wish, you're allowed to spend as much time as you want detailing it.
Me: Alright, here we go. *Grabs notebook and takes a deep breath* The key words MUST, MUST NOT, REQUIRED, SHALL, SHALL NOT, SHOULD, SHOULD NOT, RECOMMENDED, MAY, and OPTIONAL are to be interpreted as described in [RFC2119].
Genie: Wait, is that...?
Me: *Flips notebook* Chapter 1. Preamble.
Denmark facts Show more
The most notorious King of Denmark was King Christian IV.
He had a lot of buildings built, one of them was a round tower, which he called... Round Tower.
Very creative guy, that king.
Galarian Ponyta is genderqueer
🚨 New Pokémon Discovered! 🚨
Meet Galarian Ponyta, the Unique Horn Pokémon! Galarian Ponyta have been found in a certain forest of the Galar region since ancient times.