Forenoon is a good word.
I've personally imported it into English from the danish word "formiddag" (lit.: before mid day).
It's the time period between morning and noon, where morning is until 8 or 9 depending on your circadian rhythm and other context.
Noon is 12:00, before is forenoon, after is afternoon.
On gender as a spectrum
The point of "gender is a spectrum" was never that one's gender can sit somewhere between male and female (but sure, that's an option), and neither does it say anything about how many poles or dimensions gender have.
The point was, is, and always will be that gender is continuous. Gender is not a finite set. Gender is infinite. Gender is not countable.
masculinity, hot take after an overdose on math
"Masculinity" is a meta-trait.
* People can have traits that distinguish them from other people.
* Two people with the same trait never express it identically; ergo, a trait is actually set of trait-expressions
* Masculinity describes a subset of such a trait-expression (for some traits), i.e. masculinity is a property that distinguishes trait-expressions from each other.
When I think of a future with Open Social Media, I imagine three pillars.
1) Microblogging (ActivityPub), for sharing thoughts with strangers, ephemeral community building, and broad+global reach.
2) Forum / Stable Community (no good solution yet, AFAIK), for discussing, planning, buying/selling locally. All within a distinct group of people, membership of which can be managed.
3) Peer2Peer (Scuttlebutt?), for talking directly to friends, family, nearby people, and easily sharing files.
Hi all! If you're in need of distraction and money is a barrier, I've made all my books free on itch.io!
💀 🖤 📚 ✨
That's a 422 page fantasy novel, plus a supporting novelette and short stories.
Review from RockStarlit Book Asylum: "Although its setting not exactly cheery, there is something utterly charming in this book that just won me over."
Please enjoy my unexpectedly charming novel about black magic.
Hey, uh, I know my circle on here isn't very music-oriented. But in the isolation I've gotten back into engraving (typesetting) public domain music. If anybody has any particular public domain piece they'd like transcribed into a digital file with MuseScore, I'll do it for free! (provided I can find a scanned score, and it hasn't already been done well). #music ♻️🆗
A piece of mastoadmin wisdom.
When making a Fediverse social engine, and your design suggests that you have to save the data, especially media data, including avatars and headers, from remote servers, please make sure that you:
1) Separate local data and remote data into different directories, storages or whatever. An instance admin is first and foremost responsible for safety of the local users' data. Everything else is secondary.
2) Treat the remote data as a cache. Nuking remote data directory should be no biggie: all of this stuff can be re-downloaded later. Bonus points if you make your system re-download the missing data on demand.
Again, local data does have intrinsic value for your server. Remote cache does not, and should be safely disposable.
Here's how I ask for open-source in my mutual aid groups, when they're taking about setting up new digital tools:
I don't have the bandwidth to involve myself in any of the tech stuff, but have a strong personal preference for open-sourced software. Is there a chance either of you are already familiar with <open-source alternative>, so could set it up instead?
Again, FOSS nerds, mutual aid groups need your help. Stay on your ass but close the video games.
@zkat My company is only really relevant to people located in Denmark who speak danish, but they always have a significant amount of job postings - 29 right now.
So anyone in Denmark, who speaks danish, has a few options available here. It's not even primarily IT jobs, there's a good amount of different roles.
And government jobs are super stable, which is becoming extra apparent during this whole COVID-19 debacle.
Parent, Feminist, Softwaremaker - in that order
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!